Friday, February 4, 2011

Off to Bendigo.

This morning I visited my quilt guild in Bendigo Strathdale Quilters,where I have been a member for about 11 years. As luck would have it the committee was to discuss how they could best support people affected by the floods in Victoria. They have already made a contribution to the floods in QLD.
I spoke to the committee and discussed what we are doing here. ,the committee agreed that what I proposed covered all areas of their willingness to contribute. The president spoke to the assembly of quilters and asked me to speak . I asked for the help of the group to provide orphan blocks,rail fence blocks, quilt tops and completed quilts. I asked for help with workshop days to assemble blocks sent from all over Australia and overseas. and to put bindings and labels on the finished quilts.The group were very willing to help with this. I have also been promised batting and backing fabrics. I think I will be able to order a couple of rolls of backing wholesale and the group will pay for it. And the group will order batting from Birch on their wholesale account.
 Val F.  put forward a suggestion as follow:
A group of members have been making a very special stitchery quilt, If they can get the top finished in a few weeks we can run a raffle to raise money for backing and batting ,which is going to be our main expence.
I am once again overcome with the generosity of spirit of my fellow quilters.
I came away from there  leaving the Peter Rabbit blocks with Dianne to make into a lovely baby quilt,and the transportation panel and fabrics with Marie  to be made into a quilt for a little boy. I will collect them next week or the week after.
Heather P approached me and donated a lovely quilt top. I will put in a photo tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment